ISLAMABAD, October 30, 2013: Two walkouts by the opposition members over a “wrong reply” of a question and “unparliamentarily attitude” of the Interior Minister disrupted the Senate proceedings during the third sitting of the 98th Session.
The MQM did not join the opposition’s protest despite being on the opposition benches. The proceedings of the House remained suspended for one hour and 14 minutes due to the protests.
Two reports one by the Standing Committee on Human Rights and the other by the Minister In charge of the Cabinet Division on the Federal Public Service Commission were laid before the House.
The Chairman presided over the entire sitting. Both the Leader of the House and the Leader of Opposition attended the proceeding with the parliamentary leaders of PPPP, ANP, MQM, BNP, PML-N and JUI.
The Ministry of Defence and Ministry of Interior responded to eight of the 38 starred questions taken up during the Question Hour. Additionally, the members asked 17 supplementary questions.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Upper House met for two hours and 31 minutes.
- The sitting starting at 1059 hours against the schedule start time of 1030 hours, witnessing a delay of 29 minutes.
- Forty Senators were present at the start of the proceedings and at the end. A maximum 48 Senators were present at a one point of sitting.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting. The Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House and the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, ANP, MQM, BNP, PML-N and JUI attended the sitting.
- Two Senators applied for leave.
- Two minority Senators were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eight of the 38 starred questions on the agenda about the Ministry of Defence and Ministry of Interior were taken up. Additionally, 17 supplementary questions were asked.
- Chairman of Standing Committee on Human Rights presented Special Report of the Committee.
- The Minister Incharge for Cabinet Division laid before the House the annual report of Federal Public Service Commission for the year 2012.
- A single CAN on the agenda was not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- Senators spoke on nine points of orders consuming nine minutes.
- The House witnessed a verbal clash between the Minister for Interior and the opposition members when the later asked the minister to withdraw the wrong answer submitted by his ministry to a question regarding the number of those killed in the recent terrorism incidents. All the opposition members staged a walkout when the minister passed some objectionable remarks, the members were brought back by the Leader of the House, but they again staged the walkout when the Interior Minister did not withdraw the reply on their demand.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Senators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
Disclaimer: This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Pattan Development Organization; a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 1, 2021: The Senate transacted entire agenda on Friday and consumed almost one third of the proceedings' time on points of…
ISLAMABAD, September 29, 2021: The Senate transacted entire agenda on Wednesday and passed three government bills, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its…
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The Senate passed four private members' bills and referred 12 bills to the relevant committees after their introduction in the House,…