ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2016: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly passed one bill, witnessed introduction of seven other bills and adopted two resolutions on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during fifth sitting of the 20th session:
- The KP Assembly met for three hours and 21 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1536 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- Thirty-four lawmakers (27%) were present at the start while 19 (15%) at the adjournment of the sitting. A maximum of 43 members (35%) were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Chief Minister was not present while the Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI, ANP and PML-N attended the proceedings.
- One minority member was present.
- Sixteen members applied for leave.
- The House passed the KP Limitation (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
- Seven bills were introduced in the House which included the KP Higher Education Academy Research and Training Bill, 2016; the KP Tibb and Homeopathic Employees (Appointment) Bill, 2016; the KP Provincial Ombudsman (Amendment) Bill, 2016; the KP Faculty of Paramedical and Allied Health Sciences Bill, 2016; the KP Prohibition of Interest on Private Loans Bill, 2016; the Land Acquisition (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa) (Amendment) Bill, 2016 and the KP Adhoc Employees of Directorate of Information Technology (Regularization of Service) Bill, 2016.
- The House adopted two resolutions urging the federal government to abolish riba (interest) system from the country and avoid using short abbreviations for Islamic names and Holy places.
- Another resolution about investigation into an honor killing case in an area of district Lower Dir was deferred till submission of police report with concerned authorities.
- The House adopted review reports of Public Accounts Committee on the Accounts of Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa for the years 2010-11 and 2012-2013.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House discussed the issue of return of Afghan Refugees. Eleven lawmakers – PTI (3), PPPP & JI (2 each), and one each of ANP, JUI-F, QWP and PML-N participated in debate for 90 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two minutes of the proceedings were consumed on a Point of Order.
- PPPP lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1732 hours following which the Chair ordered the bells to be rung for two minutes. On lack of quorum, the Chair announced to observe prayer break and sitting resumed at 1758 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to legislators, observers and other stakeholders.
- Attendance of lawmakers was not available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly’s proceedings conducted by the United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2021: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly continued debate on the provincial budget 2021-22 on Tuesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, June 21, 2021: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly opened debate on the provincial budget 2021-22 with the speech of leader of the opposition on…
ISLAMABAD, June 18, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) on Friday witnessed the presentation of annual budget for the financial Year 2021-2022 and the supplementary…