ISLAMABAD, June 12, 2012: Starting 19 minutes late, the third sitting of KP Assembly’s 26th session, which met for two hours and 22 minutes, debated budget on Tuesday.
Seven MPAs spoke on the budget for 112 minutes (79% of sitting time). The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting while the Chief Minister, the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker were not present.
The parliamentary leaders of PMLN, PML and PPPS attended the sitting.
A total of 35 Members (28% of total Membership – 124) were present at the start, while 41 (33%) were present when the sitting was adjourned. A maximum of 57 (47%) legislators were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Assembly met for two hours and 22 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1719 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1700 hours. The House proceedings started late by 19 minutes.
- The Speaker and the Deputy Speaker were absent. The entire sitting was presided over by a Member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting. The Chief Minister was not present.
- The parliamentary leaders of the PMLN, PML and PPPS attended the sitting.
- A total of 35 Members (28% of total Membership – 124) were present at the start, while 41 (33%) were present when the sitting was adjourned.
- Two minority Members were present during the sitting.
- Three Members applied for leave to be absent.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Seven MPAs spoke on the budget – two each of MMAP and PML, and one each of PMLN, ANP and PPPS and one Independent – for 112 minutes (79% of sitting time).
- No other agenda appeared on the Agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- No Points of Order was raised during the sitting.
- Loud cross talks between a female PML Member and PMLN legislators disrupted the proceedings. The PML MPA was of the opinion that the female Members were not given equal opportunity to speak on budget.
- List of Business was available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- Copies of the budget speech were available to the legislators.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly proceedings conducted by PAIMAN Alumni Trust, a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, November 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills and adopted one resolution on Friday, observes Fee and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, November 22, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills on Monday and was adjourned amid lack of quorum, observes…
ISLAMABAD, November 12, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted entire agenda on Friday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes…