ISLAMABAD, September 30, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted half of its business on Monday while leaving the rest unaddressed due to absence of the concerned ministers or lack of time, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during eighth sitting of the sixth session:
- The House met for two hours and 35 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1515 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and ten minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceedings.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for an hour and 45 minutes.
- As many as 40 MPAs (24%) were present at the outset and 61 (36%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, GDA, TLP and MMAP attended the proceedings.
- As many as seven out of nine minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Minister for Labour and Information introduced the Sindh Women Agricultural Workers Bill, 2019. The House sent the bill to the relevant standing committee for further deliberation.
- The House deferred the presentation of a standing committee report due to absence its chairman.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister for Public Health and Engineering responded to three out of four starred questions while the lawmakers asked 24 supplementary questions as well.
- Moved by PTI lawmaker, Minister for Health responded to a matter of public importance regarding shortage of medicine in Civil Hospital Karachi.
- The government ministers responded to three out of five Calling Attention Notice (CANs) appearing on agenda. The responded CANs highlighted the issues related to delay in completion of water supply schemes, shortage of medicines in National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases(NICVD) and dilapidated condition of science laboratories in layari schools.
- A MMAP lawmaker withdraw his Privilege Motion regarding nonseriousness of Sindh Building Control Authority (SBCA) after government’s assurance to look into the matter.
- The House deferred two Adjournment Motion of MMAP lawmaker due to absence of concerned minister and shortage of time.
Order and Institutionalization
- Seven lawmakers raised Points of Order consuming 14 minutes of the proceedings
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1718 hours; however, it was found complete upon counting.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on October 1, 2019 (Tuesday) at 1400 hours.
- ‘‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, May 20, 2020: The district administrations struggled to regulate the prices of the essential items amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. During the third week of…
ISLAMABAD, May 15, 2020: The 21st Session of National Assembly was prorogued on Friday after concluding debate on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 14, 2020: The requisitioned Session of Senate was prorogued on Thursday after two days debate on measures to tackle COVID-19, observes the Free…