ISLAMABAD, November 18, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted most of its business appearing on its Orders of the Day, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Monday.
Following are the key observations of the House proceedings during 25th sitting of the sixth session:
- The House met for an hour and 53 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1520 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 20 minutes while rest of the proceedings was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the proceedings.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for an hour and three minutes.
- As many as 16 MPAs (10%) were present at the outset and 65 (39%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PTI, MQMP, MMAP and TLP attended the proceedings.
- Seven out of nine minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House did not take up a monitoring report on the implementation status of National Finance Commission (NFC) award.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Minister for Minority Affairs responded to five out of ten starred questions while the lawmakers asked 36 supplementary questions as well.
- The Ministers concerned responded to three out of seven Call Attention Notices (CANs). The responded notices highlighted the issues related to unemployment in the province, sale of unhygienic juices in Karachi and punishments given under cases of domestic violence in the province.
- The House referred a Privilege Motion of PPPP lawmaker against Chairman Indus River System Authority to the Select Committee.
- An Adjournment Motion appearing on agenda remained unaddressed.
Order and Institutionalization
- Three lawmakers spoke on Points of Order for six minutes.
- The exchange of hot words between PPPP and PTI lawmakers during the speech of the Leader of the Opposition disrupted the proceedings for three minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on November 19, 2019 (Tuesday) at 1400 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers was available to the media and observer.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, December 6, 2019: The National Assembly was adjourned without addressing the regular business due to lack of quorum on Friday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, December 5, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh took up most of the agenda on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its…
ISLAMABAD, December 5, 2019: The National Assembly was adjourned on Thursday due to lack of quorum amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and…