ISLAMABAD, April 12, 2016: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh on Tuesday adopted three resolutions during seventh sitting of its 24th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for three hours.
- The sitting started at 1109 hours against its scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 22 minutes while the rest of the proceeding was chaired by a Member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Deputy Speaker was absent.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition were absent.
- 44 (27%) lawmakers were present at outset and 64 (40%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F, PML-N and PTI were present.
- Seven minority members attended the sitting.
- Four members applied for leave.
- The House unanimously adopted three resolutions which were about condolence over sad demise of renowned writer and novelist Agha Saleem, upgradation of Government College Kali Mori, Hyderabad and timely provision of bags to the growers of wheat.
- Another two private members’ resolutions were not taken up by the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government orally responded to three out of five starred questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers also asked 19 supplementary questions.
- A Privilege Motion submitted by MQM lawmaker about misbehavior of police official with him was referred to the relevant standing committee. Three members spoke on it for 12 minutes.
- An Adjournment Motion, five private motions and 21 amendments proposed in the rules appeared on the agenda but none of these agenda items were taken up by the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on three points of order consuming four minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 21, 2020: The Sindh Assembly adopted a resolution on Wednesday condemning the Pakistan Islands Development Authority Ordinance and demanded the federal…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 24, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted its entire agenda and passed the Sindh Finance (Amendment) Bill, 2020 on Monday, observes…
ISLAMABAD, August 21, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed five government bills and adopted a supplementary resolution on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election…