ISLAMABAD, January 11, 2018: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh unanimously adopted a resolution on Thursday condemning the abduction, rape and murder of seven years old girl in Kasur, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during second sitting of the 37th session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 17 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for three minutes due to Azaan.
- The sitting started at 1123 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and three while rest of the proceedings were chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) and the Opposition Leader did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 36 (21%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 38 (23%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F, PML-N and PTI attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were also present.
- Two members applied for leave.
- The House unanimously adopted a resolution to condemn rape and murder of a seven-year old girl in Kasur. Sixteen lawmakers spoke on it for an hour and 12 minutes.
- The House also adopted resolution to pay homage to former MNA and Founder member of PPP Begum Rukhiya Khanum Soomro who passed away in Ratodero (Larkana) a month ago.
- Tabled by the Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, the House passed the Sindh Public Procurement (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up six Starred Questions related to the Auqaf Department for answers during the Question Hour. The lawmakers asked eight supplementary questions as well.
- The House took up five Call Attention Notices (CANs) regarding non-consideration of job applications in SGA&CD Department, safe city project in Hyderabad, poisoning to stray dogs in Saddar Town Karachi, conversion of residential homes into commercial building/ shops in a colony of Karachi and inconvenience to residents due to bus stand at Taj Complex in Saddar Town.
- The Chair referred a Privilege Motion, moved by a PPP lawmaker, to the relevant committee.
- The Chair rejected an Adjournment Motion sponsored by a PTI lawmaker.
Order and Institutionalization
- An MQM lawmaker protested during the proceedings for two minutes when the Chair did not allow him to speak on a resolution.
- The lawmakers did not raise any Point of Order.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted one-fourth of its agenda and was adjourned earlier without considering legislative business, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh witnessed introduction of two government bills and adopted a supplementary resolution on Thursday, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, January 25, 2021: The Sindh Assembly’s 17th session was prorogued sine die on Monday without transacting any business, observes Free and Fair Election Network…