ISLAMABAD, February 11, 2014: Sindh Assembly consumed 53 percent of the sitting time by discussing the provision of low quality education in the province during the fifth sitting of the 11th Session on Tuesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
One PML-F female legislator and one MQM MPA submitted two similar adjournment motions regarding the provision of low quality education in the province. Fourteen legislators – five from PPPP, followed by MQM 4, PML-F and PTI two each and PML one – participated in the debate.
Three private bills, five resolutions, five private motions and one privilege motion on Order of the Day were not taken up. MQM lawmakers observed a token walkout for four minutes over alleged victimization of its workers by Sindh police.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 45 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1100 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours witnessing a delay of an hour.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and five minutes while Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceedings.
- Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the proceedings.
- The Parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PTI, MQM and PML-FI were present.
- Forty-four members were present at the outset while 55 at the adjournment of the sitting. A maximum of 76 members were observed to be present at one point during the sitting.
- Five minority members attended the sitting.
- Three members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Fourteen legislators participated in the debate on adjournment motions regarding provision of low quality education in the province.
- Five MPAs from PPPP, followed by MQM 4, PML-F and PTI two each and PML one took part in the debate.
- All six starred questions (requiring oral as well as written reply) were taken up while members also asked 35 supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Legislators raised two points of order which consumed 15 minutes of the proceedings.
- MQM observed a token walkout for four minutes over alleged victimization of its workers by Sindh police in the province.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was available to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, July 12, 2021: The Punjab Assembly was adjourned without addressing its regular business due to lack of quorum on Monday, observes Free and Fair…
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 5, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed six government bills and adopted a resolution on Monday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, July 2, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed four government bills on Friday and admitted an adjournment motion for debate, observes Free and…