ISLAMABAD, May 5, 2017: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh was unable to transact regular agenda on Friday due to absence of movers, who walked out against rejection of their demand to constitute a committee for investigations into the death of an MQM worker under police custody, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during 11th sitting of 32nd session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for 41 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1520 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) was not present while Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 14 minutes.
- Thirty-six lawmakers (22%) were present at the outset and 48 (29%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM and PML-F attended the proceedings.
- Five minority members were present.
- Five members applied for leave.
- The House witnessed the presentation of the Budget Execution Report for third quarter of the financial year 2016-17.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up five Starred Questions for answers by the government. No supplementary question was asked.
- The House did not take up five Call Attention Notices, a Privilege Motion and an Adjournment motion that appeared on the agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on four Points of Order consuming 15 minutes of the proceedings.
- The opposition lawmakers staged a protest followed by a walkout against rejection of their demand to constitute a committee to probe death of an MQM worker under police custody.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, March 1, 2021: : The Provincial Assembly of Sindh could not address most of its agenda on Monday due to the protest of treasury…
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted one-fourth of its agenda and was adjourned earlier without considering legislative business, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh witnessed introduction of two government bills and adopted a supplementary resolution on Thursday, observes Free and…