ISLAMABAD, June 22, 2016: The Sindh Assembly continues general discussion on Provincial Budget for Financial Year 2016-17 during 7th sitting of its 25th session on Wednesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for five hours and 20 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1112 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker and the Deputy Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and nine minutes each while rest of the proceeding was chaired by a Member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Chief Minister was present for 52 minutes.
- The Opposition Leader attended the sitting for three hours 41 minutes.
- The Finance Minister attended the sitting for five hours and five minutes.
- Thirty-eight lawmakers (23%) were present at the start and 81 (49%) at the end of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F, PML-N, NPP and PTI were present.
- Six minority members were present.
- One member applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Nine lawmakers – PPPP (7), MQM & PML-F (one each) – took part in general discussion on Budget consuming four hours and 49 minutes of the proceeding.
Order and Institutionalization
- Ten Points of Order consumed twelve minutes of the proceeding.
- Lawmakers belonging to PML-F and PML-N protested for 14 minutes against unwarranted remarks of Provincial Minister for Transport.
- MQM lawmakers staged a protest for three minutes against provocative remarks of Minister for Health.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 21, 2020: The Sindh Assembly adopted a resolution on Wednesday condemning the Pakistan Islands Development Authority Ordinance and demanded the federal…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 24, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted its entire agenda and passed the Sindh Finance (Amendment) Bill, 2020 on Monday, observes…
ISLAMABAD, August 21, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed five government bills and adopted a supplementary resolution on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election…