ISLAMABAD, April 21, 2017: The Sindh Assembly passed the Gabmat University of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2017 as supplementary agenda amid protest by main opposition party on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The House also adopted a resolution as well as a motion demanding resignation of the Prime Minister in the wake of Apex Court’s verdict on Panama Papers’ scandal.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during sixth sitting of the 32nd session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 27 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1110 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The proceedings were suspended for three minutes for Azaan (call for prayer) break.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 20 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of proceedings.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) was not present while the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 19 minutes.
- Twenty-eight lawmakers (17%) were present at the outset and 52 (31%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM and PTI attended the proceedings.
- Six minority members were present.
- Four members applied for leave.
- The House passed the Gabmat University of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- Tabled by PTI lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution demanding immediate resignation of the Prime Minister in light of Supreme Court’s verdict on Panama Papers’ scandal.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up five Starred Questions, which were responded to by the relevant minister. The lawmakers asked 18 Supplementary Questions.
- The relevant ministers made statements on five Call Attention Notices (CANs) related to closure of ICU Ward of a hospital, policy of private schools regarding purchase of uniform and books from designated shops, appointments in Sindh Public Service Commission, use of public park for commercial activities and issue of disposal of waste management in District West Momin Abad.
- The House carried a motion moved by Minister for Parliamentary Affairs demanding resignation of Prime Minister in light of Supreme Court’s verdict in Panama case.
- The House deferred discussion on Budget Execution Report.
Order and Institutionalization
- MQM lawmakers staged a protest against immediate passage of Gabmat University of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2017 as supplementary agenda. The protest continued for 10 minutes.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued for an Indefinite Period ISLAMABAD, March 29, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed three government bills and took up three Call Attention…
ISLAMABAD, March 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh left its regular agenda unaddressed except question hour on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, March 25, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted its entire agenda and passed two government bills on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…