ISLAMABAD, December 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh took up most of the business appearing on its agenda and passed two government bills on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are the key observations of the House proceedings during 37th sitting of the sixth session:
- The House met for three hour and seven minutes, however, the sitting remained suspended for six minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1530 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 35 minutes while rest of the proceedings was chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 51 MPAs (31%) were present at the outset and 56 (34%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PTI and MMAP attended the proceedings.
- Seven out of nine minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The Minister for Parliamentary Affairs introduced the Sir Cowasjee Jahangir Institute of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Hyderabad Bill, 2019 which was referred to the relevant Standing Committee.
- The House passed the Sindh Women Agricultural Workers Bill, 2019 and the Sindh Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Bill, 2019 following presentation of the Standing Committees’ report on them.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up all seven starred questions appearing on the list while the lawmakers asked 37 supplementary questions as well.
- The Minister concerned responded to only one out of five Call Attention Notices (CANs) appearing on agenda. The responded notice highlighted the issue of quackery and non-certified medical stores operatives in Karachi. The remaining three CANs were dropped due to absence of the concerned Ministers and another one remained unaddressed due to mover’s absence.
- Moved by PPPP lawmaker, the Chair admitted an Adjournment Motion (AM) for discussion in next sitting which was regarding the current economic situation and decrease in exports.
- The House deferred discussion on an AM regarding problems facing by Karachi Steel Mill until next sitting.
Order and Institutionalization
- Fourteen lawmakers spoke on Points of Order consuming an hour and eight minutes of the proceedings.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on December 20, 2019 (Friday) at 1430 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab did not consider seven resolutions appearing on the agenda and referred one private member’s bill…
ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) was adjourned early on Tuesday without addressing questions and Call Attention Notices included in the…
ISLAMABAD, February 24, 2020: The requisitioned session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab started debate on price control and law and order situation on Monday, observes Free…