ISLAMABAD, September 23, 2013: The Sindh Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution to condemn the suicide attack on a church in Peshawar during the fourth sitting of the seventh session.
Moved by a PPPP legislator, the House debated the resolution for two hours and seven minutes.
Introduced by the law minister, the House also passed the Sindh Newborn Screening Bill 2013. However the Sindh Health Care Commission Bill 2013 was deferred till the next sitting on the request of the law minister who had also moved this bill.
An adjournment motion moved by MQM legislators to discuss the incidents of doctors’ kidnaping in Sindh was not taken up.
The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting for four hours and 15 minutes while a member of the panel of chairpersons presided over the sitting for 15 minutes. The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting and the Leader of the Opposition was present for three hours and 11 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for four hours and 30 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1137 hours against the schedule start time of 0930 hours, witnessing a delay of two hours and seven minutes.
- Ninety-seven Members were present at the time of start and 62 when the sitting was adjourned. At one point, a maximum of 105 Members were present in the sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the sitting for four hours and 15 minutes.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting and the Leader of Opposition was present for three hours and 11 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PMLF and PTI attended the sitting.
- One Member applied for leave.
- Five Minority Members were present.
- The House unanimously adopted a resolution to condemn the suicide attack on the Kohati Gate Church in Peshawar.
- The House also passed the Sindh Newborn Screening Bill 2013 while the Sindh Health Care Commission Bill, 2013’ was deferred till the next sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Four out of fifteen starred questions on the agenda regarding the Ministry of Agriculture were taken up. The relevant Minister was present. Members asked 38 supplementary questions.
- The Chair rejected an adjournment motion raised on the floor of the House by MQM legislators to discuss the incidents of kidnapping of doctors in Sindh.
Order and Institutionalization
- No point of order was raised during the sitting.
- No incidents of protests/walkouts/boycotts were observed.
- Orders of the Day were available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Legislators’ attendance was available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 21, 2020: The Sindh Assembly adopted a resolution on Wednesday condemning the Pakistan Islands Development Authority Ordinance and demanded the federal…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 24, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted its entire agenda and passed the Sindh Finance (Amendment) Bill, 2020 on Monday, observes…
ISLAMABAD, August 21, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed five government bills and adopted a supplementary resolution on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election…