ISLAMABAD, March 12, 2018: The Sindh Assembly’s 38th session was prorogued on Monday in the absence of the Leader of the House, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 11th and last sitting of the 38th session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for two hours and 20 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1115 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 20 while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceedings.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 26 (16%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 42 (25%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-N, PTI and PML-F attended the sitting.
- As many as five minority lawmakers were also present.
- As many as two members applied for leave.
- The House unanimously adopted a supplementary resolution offering its condolences on the demise of a poet and writer Syed Muhammad Ali Shah. As many as two lawmakers spoke on the subject for two minutes.
- The Chair announced that the Governor of Sindh has given assent to the Code of Criminal Procedure (Sindh Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- The Senior Minister for Parliamentary Affairs laid the Budget Execution Report for second quarter of 2017-18 and the Audit Report on the Accounts of Government of Sindh for 2016-17.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up five Starred Questions during the Question Hour. The lawmakers asked 13 supplementary questions as well.
- The government responded to two out of ten Call Attention Notices (CAN) regarding deplorable condition of Shah Jahan Mosque in Thatta and the purchase of jetties for the department of Fisheries and Livestock. As many as two CANs were left unaddressed due to absence of the movers while the remaining six were not taken up due to absence of the concerned ministers.
- The House rejected a PTI lawmaker’s Adjournment Motion regarding embezzlement in purchase of drugs in the province.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised two Points of Order consuming five minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 23, 2020: The seventh session of Sindh Assembly was prorogued sine die after addressing most of the agenda on Thursday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2020: The Sindh Assembly did not take up its regular business on Wednesday to express condolence over the demise of PPPP lawmaker Syed…
ISLAMABAD, January 8, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed three government bills on Wednesday skipping their mandatory reference to the standing committees while the…