ISLAMABAD, January 19, 2018: The Sindh Assembly, on Friday, took up the entire agenda appearing on `Orders of the Day’, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during seventh sitting of the 37th session:
- The Sindh Assembly met for two hours and 15 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for three minutes due to Azaan.
- The sitting started at 1135 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for an hour and 24 minutes while the Deputy Speaker presided over the rest of the proceedings.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 16 minutes.
- As many as 41 (24%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 43 (26%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F and PTI attended the sitting.
- Seven minority members were also present.
- One member applied for leave.
- Minister for Parliamentary Affairs presented audit report regarding appropriation accounts of Sindh Forest Department for the year, 2015-16.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up all five Starred Questions for answers during the Question Hour. The lawmakers asked 30 supplementary questions as well.
- The House took up six Call Attention Notices (CANs) about Sindh Youth Policy, non-completion of development schemes, mandatory teaching of Sindhi language in private schools, number of cases tackled by Child Protection Units and Child Protection Authority, non-allotment of rooms to students at hostels of Sindh University and not conducting the competitive exam by Sindh Public Service Commission.
- The Chair rejected an Adjournment motion of a PTI lawmaker regarding clean water crisis throughout the Province.
Order and Institutionalization
- PPPP lawmakers protested for two minutes on floor of the House when the Chair did not allow them to speak on a CAN sponsored by other lawmaker.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on January 22, 2018 at 1000 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation, a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed two government bills and took up five Call Attention Notices (CANs) on Friday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, January 14, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh addressed most of its agenda on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its…
ISLAMABAD, January 13, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted its entire agenda and referred a government bill to the Standing Committee on Technical Education…