ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2013: The Sindh Assembly passed the Sindh Witness Protection Bill 2013 and adopted six resolutions in the first sitting of seventh session on Wednesday.
The Law Minister moved a motion to defer the Gambat Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill 2013 till the next sitting. A new draft amending the rules of procedure of the provincial assembly after 40 years was laid before the House.
The House unanimously adopted six resolutions on the birthday of MQM chief, condemning incidents of rape of children in Lahore and Sindh, attack on army men in Dir, conspiracy to form another province in Sindh and recommending one dish system in ceremonies.
An MQM legislator moved an adjournment motion over the deteriorating law and order situation in Karachi.
The Chief Minister attended the sitting for two hours and 30 minutes while the Leader of Opposition was present for four hours and two minutes.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for four hours and 51 minutes.
- The sitting started one hour and five minutes late at 1105 hours against the scheduled start time of 1000 hours.
- There were 57 Members at the outset of sitting and 80 at the time of adjournment. At one point, a maximum of 115 Members were present in the sitting.
- The Speaker did not attend the proceedings whereas the Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister was present for two hours and 30 minutes whereas the Leader of Opposition was present for four hours and two minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of MQM and PTI attended the sitting.
- Four Members applied for leave.
- Five Minority Members attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The four starred questions on the agenda about the information department were taken up. Additionally, 31 supplementary questions were asked.
- The Assembly witnessed the passage of the Sindh Witness Protection Bill 2013. The bill was tabled by Law Minister.
- The Law Minister moved a motion to defer the Gambat Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill 2013 till the next sitting.
- A new draft of rules of procedure of the provincial assembly was laid before the house. The draft will amend the rules of procedure of the assembly after 40 years.
- An adjournment motion over the deteriorating law and order situation in Karachi was jointly moved by MQM legislators. Two Members discussed the motion for nine minutes.
- Moved by MQM and PPPP legislators, the House adopted six resolutions consuming 34 minutes of the sitting. These were about the birthday wishes to the leader of MQM, condemning the incidents of rape of children in Lahore and Sindh, attack on army men in Dir, conspiracy to form another province in Sindh and recommending one dish system during ceremonies in the province.
Order and Institutionalization
- Legislators spoke for 40 minutes on 23 points of order.
- No incidents of protests/walkouts/boycotts were observed.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 26, 2021: The Sindh Assembly passed the Sindh Local Government (Amendment) Bill, 2021 amid opposition’s protest on Friday, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, November 25, 2021: The Sindh Assembly transacted entire agenda and passed three government bills on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, November 24, 2021: The Sindh Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed except question hour on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…