ISLAMABAD, January 19, 2016: Starting 64 minutes behind the scheduled time, the Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed one bill and adopted five private resolutions during third sitting of its 23rd session on Tuesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for 5 hours and eight minutes.
- The sitting started at 1104 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- Thirty two (19%) lawmakers were present at the start and 57 (34%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- A maximum of 57 (34%) members attended the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for 4 hours and 15 minutes while a member of Panel of Chairpersons presided over the sitting for 53 minutes.
- The Deputy Speaker was absent.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of Opposition attended the sitting for 4 hours and 24 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-F, PML-N and PTI attended the sitting.
- Five minority members attended the sitting.
- Four members applied for leave.
- The House passed the Sindh Local Government (Amendment) Bill, 2016 on supplementary agenda on the motion moved by Minister for Parliamentary Affairs to relax the rule 96, 97, 98 and 99 to consider the government bill.
- The House unanimously adopted five private resolutions. These resolutions were about providing Air Ambulance in divisional Headquarters, homage for nomination of Pakistani documentary film for Oscar, establishment of Fire Brigade Stations in various districts, against VIP culture and protocol causing loss of precious lives and resuming the census process that was ceased in 2011.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up three out of five starred questions appearing on the agenda. The members also asked 21 supplementary questions.
- The House rejected an Adjournment Motion (AM) moved by MQM member regarding Development Scheme Funds.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on 19 Points of Order consuming 26 minutes of the proceeding.
- Opposition parties protest within the House against the attitude of the Chair for accepting the motion moved by Senior Minister to relax the rule to adopt the government bill on private members day. The protest started at 1601 and the Chair adjourned the sitting at 1612.
- “Orders of the Day” was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was available to the observers and the public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2020: The Sindh Assembly did not take up its regular business on Friday to express condolence over the death of PPPP lawmaker…
ISLAMABAD, January 23, 2020: The seventh session of Sindh Assembly was prorogued sine die after addressing most of the agenda on Thursday, observes Free and Fair…