ISLAMABAD, February 04, 2014: The Sindh Assembly Tuesday witnessed uproar when an MQM legislator was not allowed to speak on a privilege motion moved by two of his party members, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the proceedings of the House.
An adjournment motion was moved in the House against a Jirga’s decision regarding the marriage of a woman, who is the mother of nine. Five members including mover of the adjournment motion spoke for 15 minutes.
The House also observed two-minute silence over the killings of Hindu community people.
Five of 13 Starred Questions on the agenda were taken up during the proceedings. Minister In-charge gave answer to the questions of lawmakers. The legislators also asked 26 supplementary questions.
The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 10 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the proceedings for 40 minutes.
The Chief Minister was present for an hour and 20 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for 40 minutes.
The Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, MQM, PML-F and PTI were present.
Eighty-eight members were present at the outset while 72 were there at the adjournment. A maximum of 102 members were observed to be present at a point during sitting.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- The Sindh Assembly met for three hours and 35 minutes.
- The sitting started at 12.15 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours, witnessing a delay of two hours and 15 minutes.
- The House took a prayers break for three minutes.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 10 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the proceedings for 40 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for 40 minutes while the Chief Minister was present for an hour and 20 minutes.
- The Parliamentary leader of PPPP, PML-N, MQM, PML-F and PTI were present.
- Eighty-eight members were present at the outset while 72 were there at the adjournment. A maximum of 102 members were observed to be present at a point during the sitting.
- Five minority members attended the sitting.
- Five members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five of 13 Starred Questions on agenda were taken up. Additionally, lawmakers asked 26 supplementary questions. The Minister In-charge answered the questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- No points of order were raised by the legislators.
An adjournment motion was taken up in the House.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was available to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, January 23, 2020: The seventh session of Sindh Assembly was prorogued sine die after addressing most of the agenda on Thursday, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2020: The Sindh Assembly did not take up its regular business on Wednesday to express condolence over the demise of PPPP lawmaker Syed…
ISLAMABAD, January 8, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed three government bills on Wednesday skipping their mandatory reference to the standing committees while the…