ISLAMABAD, October 8, 2012: The National Assembly, which met for two hours and 49 minutes during the second sitting of the ongoing session, witnessed low attendance of Members. Ninety-three were present at the outset and only 36 were there at the adjournment.
The Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan Bill 2012 was unanimously passed by the House. The National Accountability Commission Bill 2012 was introduced and sent to the respective Standing Committee while the Pakistan Academy of Letters Bill 2010 was deferred.
The Prime Minister attended the proceedings for 19 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was not present.
Thirteen out of 33 questions were taken up and responded to by the relevant Minister. Additionally 12 supplementary questions also asked.
Nine points of order consumed 26 minutes of the sitting time.
Members’ participation in House proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 49 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1820 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1700 hours. The proceedings started an hour and 20 minutes late.
- A Member of Panel of Chairpersons chaired the sitting for 56 minutes, while the remaining time was presided over by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Prime Minister attended the proceedings for 19 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was absent.
- Only the parliamentary leaders of PMLF and BNPA were present.
- The Chief Whips of PPPP, PMLN, ANP, MQM and MMAP were present.
- Ninety-three (27%) Members were present at the outset while there were 36 (11%) at the end of the sitting. A maximum of 186 Members were present at one point of the sitting.
- Eight minority Members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Two Calling Attention Notices – non-regularization of disabled persons working on contract for the last 5 years or more in Federal Government and increase in the prices of petroleum products – were taken up by the House.
- Only 13 out of 33 questions were taken up and responded to by the relevant Minister. Additionally 12 supplementary questions were asked.
- The Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan Bill 2012 was unanimously passed by the House.
- The National Accountability Commission Bill 2012 was introduced and sent to the respective Standing Committee while the Pakistan Academy of Letters Bill 2010 was deferred.
Order and institutionalization
- Nine Points of Order consumed 26 minutes. However, none of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts.
- Orders of the Day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI), a Member organization of FAFEN.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 19, 2021: The National Assembly left entire agenda unaddressed on Friday and was prorogued sine die, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, November 17, 2021: The Majlis-e-Shoora passed 33 bills including the Elections (Second Amendment) Bill, 2021 amid protest and walkout of the opposition, says Free…
ISLAMABAD, November 16, 2021: The National Assembly left entire agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and consumed 83 percent part of its proceedings’ time in…