The PMLN walked out of the House protesting against the load shedding of gas, while the MQM boycotted the sitting over not receiving a satisfactory statement on their Calling Attention Notice regarding the increase up to 14% in the CNG prices.
The sitting met for two hours as low attendance of Members persisted as only 61 Legislators were present at the start and 34 when the sitting was adjourned. The Quorum was visibly lacking at various stages of the sitting. However, it was not pointed out by any of the Members.
Out of the 26 questions to be taken up during the Question Hour, only nine were put up and responded by the relevant ministries. Thirteen Points of Order consumed 60% of the total time. However, none of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
The Prime Minister attended the proceedings for 48 minutes, while the Leader of the Opposition was not present. Only the parliamentary leaders of ANP, NPP and BNPA were present.
Members’ participation in House proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours.
- The sitting started at 1755 Hours against the scheduled starting time of 1700 hours. The proceedings started late by 55 minutes.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting for 58 minutes, while the remaining sitting time was presided over a Member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Prime Minister attended the proceedings for 48 minutes, while the Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of ANP, NPP and BNPA were present, while the leaders of MQM, MMAP, PPPS, PML and PMLF were absent.
- The Chief Whips of PPPP, PMLN, PML, MQM and ANP were present, while those of the MMAP and PMLF were absent.
- Sixty-one (18%) Members were present at the outset and 34 (10%) at the end of the sitting.
- Eight Members applied for leave to be absent from the sitting.
- Four out of 10 minority Members were present during the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up one out of two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) which appeared on the Orders of the Day.
- Moved by five MQM Members – three males and two females – the CAN was about “the increase up to 14% in the prices of CNG”, which was directed to the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources.
- Out of the 26 questions to be taken up during the Question Hour, only nine were put up and responded by the relevant ministries.
- Nineteen supplementary questions were raised during the sitting.
- The Provincial Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2012 was introduced in the House. The Delimitation of Constituencies (Amendment) Bill, 2011 was not taken up.
Order and institutionalization
- Thirteen Points of Order consumed 33 minutes (28% of total sitting time). However, none of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
- The sitting witnessed two boycotts. Protesting against the load shedding of gas, the PMLN Legislators walked of the House at 1930 hours. The MQM boycotted the sitting over not receiving a satisfactory statement on the Calling Attention Notice regarding the increase up to 14% in the prices of CNG. MQM Members walked out of the House at 1935 hours. Both the parties’ parliamentarians did not come back to attend the remaining proceedings.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- The Quorum was visibly lacking at various stages during the sitting. However, lack of Quorum was not pointed out by any of the Members.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI), a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, September 22, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Wednesday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2021: The National Assembly left almost two-third agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and referred five legislative proposals to the relevant committees,…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2021: The National Assembly left 95 percent agenda unaddressed on Monday amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and the Opposition,…