ISLAMABAD, July 29, 2019: The National Assembly did not take up its 87 percent agenda amid verbal clashes between treasury and opposition lawmakers in the House on Monday, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during first sitting of the 13th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 19 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1650 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting in the absence of Speaker.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for 46 minutes.
- As many as 105 (31%) were present at the outset and 166 (49%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML, BAP, MMAP and PPPP attended the sitting.
- As many as five out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- The Minister for Housing and Works laid the Naya Pakistan Housing and Development Authority, Ordinance, 2019.
- The House did not take up three government bills, three reports on as many legislative proposals, a motion of thanks, a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) and a statutory report.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister for Economic Affairs Division responded to a CAN regarding imposition of taxes on marble processing units in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as four lawmakers spoke on Points of Order consuming 52 minutes of the proceedings.
- The treasury lawmakers protested during the proceedings when the Chair allowed a PPPP legislator to speak on a point of order. Despite repeated directions by the Chair, the treasury lawmakers continued their protest which led to the exchange of harsh words among members from both sides of aisle. The treasury and opposition members came close to blows following which the Chair adjourned the House to meet again on August 1, 2019 (Thursday) at 1600 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of the lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab did not consider seven resolutions appearing on the agenda and referred one private member’s bill…
ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) was adjourned early on Tuesday without addressing questions and Call Attention Notices included in the…
ISLAMABAD, February 24, 2020: The requisitioned session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab started debate on price control and law and order situation on Monday, observes Free…