ISLAMABAD, May 30, 2018: The Balochistan Assembly adopted a resolution on Wednesday demanding one-month delay in the upcoming general elections, reports Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the second sitting of the Assembly’s 53rd session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for five hours and 46 minutes while the sitting remained suspended for two hours and 28 minutes due to prayer break and Iftar dinner.
- The sitting started at 1754 hours against the scheduled time of 1700 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition attended the entire proceedings.
- Twenty-five lawmakers (38%) were present at the outset and 37 (57%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, JUI-F, ANP and MWM were present.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- None of the member applied for leave.
- Tabled by Provincial Home Minister, the House adopted a resolution demanding one-month delay in the upcoming general elections. It suggested to contact the federal government in this regard and hold elections in last week of August instead of July 25, 2018 so that delimitation process may be completed in an appropriate manner.
- The House adopted another resolution for legislation by Parliament regarding policy about explosive material which may be implemented in Balochistan.This resolution was also tabled by Provincial Home Minister.
- Moved by a JUI-F lawmaker, the House passed the Maulana Muhammad Khan Shirani International Islamic University for Science and Technology Bill, 2016. It was the first private member’s bill passed by the Balochistan Assembly in its history so far.
- Three other government bills passed by the House were the Balochistan Public Service Commission Bill, 2018; the Balochistan Assessment and Examination Commission Bill, 2018 and Mir Chakar Khan University Bill, 2018.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Twelve lawmakers spoke on the resolution demanding delay in general elections for two hours and seven minutes.
- A starred question on the agenda was disposed of due to absence of relevant mover.
Order and Institutionalization
- PkMAP lawmakers walked out of the House at 1135 hours against adopting a resolution seeking delay in general elections. They did not return to the House till adjournment of the sitting at 1140 hours.
- A PkMAP lawmaker and the Provincial Home Minister exchanged hot words in the House over difference on the passage of Mir Chakar Khan University Bill, 2018.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on May 31, 2018 (Thursday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan witnessed the presentation of Provincial Annual Budget for the Financial Year 2019-2020 and the Supplementary Budget for…
ISLAMABAD, June 12, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan discussed Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) for the years 2018-19, 2019-20 and delay in National Finance Commission…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 3, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan did not take up most of the regular business appearing on `Orders of the Day’ on Friday,…