ISLAMABAD, April 14, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly discussed the issue of blockage and renewal of Computerized National Identity Cards (CNICs) during 5th sitting of the ongoing 38th session, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet on Friday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for an hour and 48 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1623 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 21 minutes while a Member of Panel of Chairpersons chaired the remaining proceedings.
- The Chief Minister attended the entire proceedings.
- The Leader of the Opposition was absent.
- Fifteen lawmakers (23%) were present at the outset and 25 (38%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of ANP, PML-N and PkMAP were present.
- Two minority members also attended the sitting.
- Fourteen members applied for leave.
- The House discussed the issue of blockage and renewal of CNICs following a resolution appearing on the agenda. Seven lawmakers spoke for 62 minutes. Later, the mover withdrew his resolution following assurance by the Provincial Minister for Interior to resolve the issue at the earliest.
Representation and Responsiveness
- A question appearing on the agenda was deferred due to the absence of relevant minister.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice regarding action to curb the practice of amateur driving by teenagers.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on nine Points of Order consuming 32 minutes of the proceedings.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, April 21, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution to express full confidence on Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif in the wake of…
Adopts Motion to Introduce Zero Hour in Rules of Procedure Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 17, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly on Monday adopted a resolution…
ISLAMABAD, April 11, 2017: The proceedings of the Balochistan Assembly remained suspended for an hour and 23 minutes on Tuesday due to the minimum presence…