ISLAMABAD, October 28, 2017: The Balochistan Assembly did not take up its scheduled business due to lack of quorum on Saturday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fourth sitting of the Assembly’s 45th session:
- The Balochistan Assembly met for three hours and six minutes.
- The sitting started at 1620 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the proceedings
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 17 lawmakers (26%) were present at the outset and 15 (23%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of NP, PML, MWM, ANP and JUI-F were present during the proceedings.
- Two minority members also attended the sitting.
- Four members applied for leave.
- Tabled by PML-N lawmaker, the House unanimously adopted a resolution recommending the provincial government to approach the federal government for revision of the seats allocated to Balochistan in National and Provincial Assembly as per increase in population census. Asmany as 12 lawmakers debated the resolution consuming an hour and 22 minutes of the proceedings.
- The House did not take up a resolution regarding the Provincial Finance Commission.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up a Call Attention Notice (CAN) regarding installation of traffic signals on main roads while another CAN regarding formation of Provincial Council for disable persons was referred to concerned standing committee. Moreover, two CANs were deferred due to absence of the concerned ministers.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 11 Points of Order consuming 43 minutes of the proceedings.
- A lawmaker belonging to JUI-F pointed out quorum at 1923 hours that led to the adjournment of sitting.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, October 12, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan passed five government bills on Saturday but was adjourned due to lack of quorum pointed out by…
ISLAMABAD, October 10, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three resolutions and failed to take up any of the questions appearing on its agenda as…
ISLAMABAD, October 7, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan witnessed introduction of two government bills and presentation of four reports of Standing Committees on as many…