ISLAMABAD, November 1, 2018: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three private members’ resolutions on Thursday, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the second sitting of fourth session:
- The Assembly met for two hours and 30 minutes
- The sitting started at 1527 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting as the Speaker was not present.
- The Leader of the House (Chief Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 13 (20%) lawmakers were present at the outset and 19 (20%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, BNP-M and MMA were present.
- Only one out of three minority members attended the sitting.
- As many as 13 members applied for leave of absence.
- The House passed two private members’ resolutions recommending the government to supply potable water to Quetta and handover the control of National Highways in the province to the National Highways and Motorways Police (NHMP). As many as six lawmakers debated the resolution on potable water for 11 minutes while four lawmakers debated the resolution on control of national highways for 12 minutes.
- The House also adopted a supplementary resolution urging the Supreme Court of Pakistan to review its decision of acquitting Asia Bibi of blasphemy charges. The issue was raised on a point of order and was debated by four lawmakers for 23 minutes.
- The House deferred a BNP-M lawmaker’s resolution on request of the mover.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Ministers for Law & Order and Communications responded to Calling Attention Notices regarding anti-encroachment operation in Hazar Ganji and government’s decision to lay off 361 workers of Communications & Works department. These notices were moved by lawmakers belonging to PkMAP and BNP-M.
- The House took up one out of two starred questions submitted by a PkMAP lawmaker. The Ministers for Law and Order responded to the question. The second question on the agenda was deferred on request of the government.
- As many as five lawmakers participated in a discussion on an Adjournment Motion regarding federal government’s plan to reduce the share of provinces in upcoming National Finance Commission Award. The Minister for Communications assured the House to take up the matter with the federal government.
- The House deferred a BNP-M lawmaker’s Adjournment Motion on request of the mover.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as four members raised six Points of Orders consuming 13 minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was not available on the website of the Assembly.
- Attendance of Members was not made public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Balochistan Assembly proceedings conducted by Center for Peace and Development (CPD) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, June 27, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan was prorogued sine die after approval of the Finance Bill, 2019-20 and 105 Demands for Grants,…
ISLAMABAD, June 25, 2019: The Balochistan Assembly continued debate on Provincial Annual Budget for Financial Year 2019-20 which consumed 98 percent of proceedings on Tuesday, observes…