ISLAMABAD, November 2, 2018: The National Assembly’s sitting on Friday lasted for only 11 minutes and was adjourned without addressing its scheduled business amidst lack of quorum, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fifth sitting of the fourth session:
- The Assembly met for 11 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1109 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting in the absence of the Speaker.
- The Leader of House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of Opposition was not present.
- As many as 64 lawmakers (19%) were present at outset and 51 (15%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N and BAP attended the sitting.
- As many as three out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not take up any of the agenda items appearing on Orders of the Day which comprised 15 private members’ bills, five private members’ resolutions and five private members’ motions under Rule 259, two Calling Attention Notices and a motion for raising a matter of public importance under Rule 87. The scheduled private members’ business was pending since last Tuesday.
Order and Institutionalization
- An NP lawmaker pointed out the lack of quorum at 1115 hours that led to the adjournment of the House till Monday, November 5, 2018 at 1700 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, January 23, 2019: The government introduced the Finance Supplementary (Second Amendment) Bill 2019 in the National Assembly on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2019: The National Assembly continued the debate on the killing of unarmed civilians by Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) in Sahiwal, says Free and…
ISLAMABAD, January 21, 2019: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business and debated Sahiwal tragedy on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network…