ISLAMABAD, January 26, 2013: The fifth sitting of the 49 session of the National Assembly witnessed low members attendance on Saturday.
Only 18 members were present at the outset and 30 were there at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 48 (14%) members were present at one point of sitting. The Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition, and none of the parliamentary leaders in the National Assembly attended the sitting.
The House suspended the regular agenda appearing on the Orders of the Day to discuss Seerat un Nabi (SAW). Twenty-six members expressed their views for two hours and 40 minutes.
The sitting was chaired by a member of the Panel of Chairpersons. The MMAP lawmakers walked out in protest over the Governor Rule in Balochistan at 1249 hours and did not return to attend the proceedings.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 50 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1120 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1100 hours, witnessing a delay of 20 minutes.
- A member of the Panel of Chairpersons chaired the entire sitting.
- The Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition, and none of the parliamentary leaders in the National Assembly attended the sitting.
- The chief whips of PPPP and MMAP were present whereas those of PMLN, MQM, ANP, PML, PMLF, and PPPS were absent.
- Only 18 members (5% of the total membership) were present at the outset while 30 (9%) were there at the time of adjournment. A maximum of 48 (14%) members were present at one point of sitting.
- Four minority members attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House suspended the regular agenda to discuss Seerat un Nabi (SAW) in connection of Eid Milad un Nabi (SAW). Twenty-six members expressed their views for two hours and 40 minutes.
- Question Hour was not held.
- Calling attention notices and a motion under rule 259 appearing on the agenda were not taken as the regular agenda was suspended.
- The House did not take up a bill and a standing committee report appearing on the Orders of the Day.
Order and Institutionalization
- The MMAP lawmakers walked out of the house at 1249 hours in protest over the Governor Rule in Balochistan. They did not return to attend the proceedings.
- Orders of the Day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI); a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Leader of the Opposition formally opened debate on the Federal Budget 2019-20 in National Assembly on Wednesday, after a consensus was developed…
ISLAMABAD, June 18, 2019: The proceedings of National Assembly remained suspended on Tuesday for an hour and 59 minutes (67 % of the total duration) due…
ISLAMABAD, June 17, 2019: The sitting of the National Assembly was adjourned on Monday due to the protest by treasury lawmakers during the opening speech of Leader of the Opposition on the Federal Budget…