ISLAMABAD, September 7, 2016: The opposition parties in the National Assembly staged a walkout against the Tax Laws (Amendment) Ordinance 2016 on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fourth sitting of the 35th session:
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 31 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1036 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 42 minutes while a member of the Panel of Chairpersons presided over rest of the proceedings as the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for last five minutes.
- Twenty-six lawmakers (7%) were present at the outset and 50 (15%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, QWP-S, PML and ANP attended the proceedings.
- Five minority members were present.
- The Parliamentary Secretary for Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization laid the Tax Laws (Amendment) Ordinance, 2016 before the House.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization presented the report of the committee on the Companies (Appointment of Legal Advisors) (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
- The Periodical Reports of the House and Library Committee and Standing Committees on Housing & Works, Ports & Shipping, Federal Education & Professional Training, Information Technology & Telecommunication, Defence, Human Rights were presented before the House.
- Moved by JI lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution condemning the death sentence of JI Bangladesh leader Mir Qasim Ali.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as 12 out of 36 Starred Questions were responded to by the government on floor of the House. The lawmakers also asked 19 Supplementary Questions.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices regarding Bhara Kahu Housing Scheme and closure of Benazir Debit Card Centre in District Buner.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on seven Points of Order consuming 40 minutes of the proceedings.
- Entire Opposition staged walkout at 1208 hours against the Tax Laws (Amendment) Ordinance 2016. The agitating lawmakers returned to the House at 1219 hours while those belonging to PTI came back at 1252 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The National Assembly could not take up its entire agenda on Thursday due to the protest of opposition parties against the arrest…
ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2019: The National Assembly left 77 percent of its agenda unaddressed on the Private Member’s Day and debated political matters as well as…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2019: The National Assembly transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Monday, observes Free and Fair…