ISLAMABAD, February 15, 2016: The Punjab Assembly did not take up any agenda item except questions and adjournment motions on Monday during twelfth sitting of its 19th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and 19 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1513 hours against the scheduled time 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was absent.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 55
- 13 MPAs (3%) were present at outset and 77 (21%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of JI attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were present.
- The House did not take up two bills appearing on the agenda.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government orally responded to 4 out of 16 starred questions appearing on agenda while one question was deferred. The House did not take up rest of the questions due to lack of time. The lawmakers also asked 19 supplementary questions.
- The Parliamentary Secretary for Law & Parliamentary Affairs responded to four adjournment motions regarding substandard printing of text books, declining health sector of Faisalabad, unavailability of syringes at disease protection centers and vacant posts of headmasters in 65 schools across Gujranwala.
- The House did not take up any Calling Attention Notice or held the general discussion on irrigation.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on seven points of order consuming as many minutes of the proceeding.
- An independent lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1659 hours leading to suspension of proceeding for 15 minutes. The House reassembled at 1527 hours but the quorum was found lacking on counting and the sitting was adjourned.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 15th session was prorogued on Friday without taking up scheduled discussions on Kashmir issue, inflation and security situation, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…