ISLAMABAD, June 20 2019: The Senate continued discussion on the Finance Bill, 2019 on Thursday and adopted a resolution to express sorrow at the tragic death of former Egyptian President Muhammad Mursi, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the sixth sitting of 290th session:
- The House met for two hours and 42 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1630 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for an hour and 50 minutes while rest of the proceedings was chaired by a member of panel of Presiding Officers.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 48 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 12 lawmakers (11%) were present at the outset and 21 (20%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI, JUI-F, PkMAP and BNP-M attended the sitting.
- Three out of four minority lawmakers were also present.
- Tabled by a JI lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution to express sorrow over the death of former Egyptian President Muhammad Mursi and acknowledge his struggle for the cause of democracy. The Leader of the Opposition spoke on it for four minutes.
The House adopted seven motions under Rule 194 (1) to grant extension to Standing Committees on Rules of Procedure and Privileges, National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination and Law and Justice for presentation of their as many reports.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five lawmakers – one each of PkMAP, JUI-F, PTI, PPPP and an Independent candidate – participated in discussion on federal budget consuming two hours and 13 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on June 21, 2019 (Friday) at 1030 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh on Friday left ninety percent of its regular agenda unaddressed and adopted a supplementary resolution to condemn…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2019: The 14th session of Provincial Assembly of Punjab was prorogued on Friday amidst low attendance of lawmakers, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…
ISLAMABAD, September 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab transacted its entire agenda amid low attendance of lawmakers in the House on Thursday, observes Free and Fair Election…