ISLAMABAD, March 7, 2017: The Senate took up most of its agenda on Tuesday during the third sitting of its 260th session, reports Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House business:
- The Senate met for two hours and 11 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 26 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PTI, MQM, JUI-F, NP, JI, PkMAP, PML-F and ANP attended the sitting.
- Fourteen (13% of the total membership – 104) lawmakers were present at the start and 12 (11%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Three minority legislators attended the proceedings.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat presented report about the National School of Public Policy (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House passed six motions under Rule 194 (1) to grant extension to three committees for presentation of their reports.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding objectionable status of Azad Jammu and Kashmir territory being taught in private schools in Islamabad. Another notice about non-functioning of tube wells and water filtration plants installed in various sectors of Islamabad was dropped due to absence of their movers.
- Twenty-nine out of 36 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up during the sitting. In addition, lawmakers asked 39 Supplementary Questions.
- Three Adjournment Motions were held inadmissible for being in contravention with the rules.
Order and Institutionalization
- Thirteen Points of Public Importance were discussed for 39 minutes.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, April 21, 2017: The Chairman prorogued the Senate session sine die without taking up any legislative business on Friday, as the Senators belonging to…
ISLAMABAD, April 20, 2017: The Senate discussed the issues of reassembling of imported auto-parts and decision of an arbitration forum on Tethyan Company’s claims against…
ISLAMABAD, April 19, 2017: The Senate passed one bill and deferred a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) due to ministerial absence in the House on Wednesday,…