ISLAMABAD, March 16: The tenth sitting of Sindh Assembly’s 34th session, starting an hour and 30 minutes behind schedule, had to be adjourned within 15 minutes without conducting any business, due to protests and sloganeering by MQM against extortion, lawlessness and terrorism in Karachi. The Assembly will now meet on Monday.
Eighty MPAs were present when the House opened proceedings and 83 were there when the sitting was adjourned.
The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition was absent.
The parliamentary leader of only MQM and PPPP were present.
The following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Sindh Assembly met for 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1130 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 1000 hours. The proceedings were delayed by an hour and 30 minutes.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the sitting.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of only MQM and PPPP were present while those of PMLF, PML, NPP, PML (F-B), and ANP did not attend the sitting.
- Eighty Members (48% of the total Membership) were present at the start while 83 (50%) were there when the sitting was adjourned.
Representation and Responsiveness
- No question could be tabled and responded due MQM protests.
Order and Institutionalization
- No Points of Order were raised.
- MQM Members began to protests and shout slogans immediately after the Na’at against extortion, lawlessness and terrorism in Karachi. The protest and chanting continued for nine minutes before the Deputy Speaker adjourned the sitting.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Sindh Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh on Tuesday skipped entire Private Members’ business except question hour due to protest between treasury and opposition lawmakers,…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh adopted two resolutions while the remaining agenda was not taken due to Opposition’s protest on Monday, observes…
ISLAMABAD, September 13, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh was adjourned without addressing its scheduled business in honor of the PPPP lawmaker Ghulam Shah Jilani who…