ISLAMABAD, March 2: The sixth sitting of the Punjab Assembly’s 35th session lasted only for eight minutes as no business was conducted with two MPAs present in the House.
Starting 25 minutes behind schedule, the sitting did not take up any of the 35 questions listed for the Question Hour. One Point of Order was raised during the sitting.
The elections for the Senate will be held today at the Punjab Assembly.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for 8 minutes.
- The sitting started at 0925 hours instead of the scheduled starting time of 0900 hours. The House proceedings started 25 minutes late.
- The Speaker chaired the sitting.
- Neither the Chief Minister nor the Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of all parties were absent.
- Two Members (0.5% of the Membership of 369) were present at the start and the same two were there when the sitting was adjourned.
- No minority Members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Out of 35 questions listed for the Question Hour, none were put up.
- No Bills appeared on the Orders of the Day.
Order and Institutionalization
- One Point of Order was raised during the sitting which consumed 30 seconds.
- There were no instances of protests, boycotts or walkouts during the sitting.
- Orders of the Day were available to Legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
- The Quorum, visibly lacking, was not pointed out by any of the MPAs.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization, a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, June 19, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab on Wednesday resumed general discussion on budget 2019-20 amid low attendance of lawmakers as 15 percent were…
ISLAMABAD, June 18, 2019: As many as 24 lawmakers participated in the general discussion on the annual budget 2019-20 in Punjab Assembly, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, June 17, 2019: The Leader of the Opposition in Punjab Assembly opened debate on the Provincial Annual Budget for the year 2019-20 on Monday, observes Free and…