ISLAMABAD, December 16, 2016: The Senate consumed major part of sitting on Friday in debate on a Motion under Rule 218 about political prisoners, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during second (last) sitting of the 256th session requisitioned by the Opposition.
- The Senate met for two hours and 32 minutes.
- The sitting started three minutes behind the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 20 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and nine minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, BNP-M, PML-N, JUI-F and ANP attended the sitting.
- Sixteen members (15% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset while 31 (30%) at end of the sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Chairman Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination presented reports on the Prohibition of Smoking and Protection of Non-smokers Health (Amendment) Bill, 2016 and the Islamabad Prohibition of Sheesha Smoking Bill, 2016.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House passed a motion under Rule 194 (1) to extend the presentation period of report on three starred questions asked on September 7, 2016.These questions were regarding the PAS and PSP officers in BPS-20 and 21 belonging to Balochistan and the policy for their posting in the country and abroad.
- The House discussed a Motion under Rule 218 about political prisoners. Twenty-one lawmakers including State Minister for Interior spoke on it for two hours and 19 minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…
ISLAMABAD, January 11, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed the Presidential Ordinance related to the Sindh and Balochistan islands and rights guaranteed to the provinces…