ISLAMABAD, January 7, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) took up most of its scheduled agenda and adopted three supplementary resolutions on Tuesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 8th sitting of the tenth session:
- The Assembly met for two hours and 43 minutes, however, the proceedings remained suspended for 30 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1445 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the proceedings.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- As many as 37 (26%) legislators were present at the start and 60 (41%) at the end of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of ANP and PML-N attended the sitting.
- Three out of four minority members were present.
- The House unanimously adopted three private resolutions recommending the government to resolve issues of Hazar community residing in Karachi, provide facilities at Pak-Afghan border in Torkham and establish food testing laboratory in the province. These resolutions were moved by PML-N, BAP and PTI lawmakers respectively.
- The Minister for Law presented the Annual Report of the Audit General of Pakistan on Government’s Accounts for year 2017-18 which was referred to the Public Accounts Committee (PAC).
- A PTI lawmaker presented the Public Accounts Committee report for the year 2014-15.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up four out of 16 starred questions appearing on the list while the lawmakers asked as many supplementary questions.
- The government responded to three Call Attention Notices (CANs) regarding imposition of taxes on construction material, repairing of water tank in district Mardan and removal of the Chancellor of Khyber University.
- A PML-N lawmaker withdrew her Privilege Motions appearing on agenda.
- The House deferred discussion on an Adjournment Motion (AM) regarding decisions of Council of Common Interest (CCI) related to KP.
- The discussion on a question related to mineral department was not held.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1725 which was found completed.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on January 10, 2020 (Friday) at 1000 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to the observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the KP Assembly proceeding conducted by United Rural Development Organization (URDO) – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, April 02, 2020: Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) urges the government and opposition parties to steer the country through the most critical health…
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
77% Lawmakers Remain Inactive during Session ISLAMABAD, March 14, 2020: The Punjab Assembly left 68 percent of its scheduled business unaddressed during its 20th session…