ISLAMABAD, May 13, 2016: The Punjab Assembly took up an Adjournment Motion on FAFEN’s report about corruption while discussion on a government report was delayed again on Friday due to lack of quorum during sixth sitting of 21st session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 48 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1001 hours against the scheduled time 0900 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 55 minutes.
- 7 MPAs (2%) were present at outset and 52 (14%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP and JI attended the sitting.
- One minority member was present.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Services and General Administration presented the report of the committee on the Punjab Agriculture, Food and Drug Authority Bill 2016.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government responded to 11 out of 21 starred questions on floor of the House while nine questions were disposed of and one question was deferred. The lawmakers asked also 24 supplementary questions.
- The House admitted an Adjournment Motion regarding FAFEN’s report on corruption in government departments for discussion on Wednesday. Another AM regarding difficulties faced by patients in government hospitals was deferred.
- The House did not hold discussion on Annual Report of the Parks and Horticulture Authority Lahore for the year 2013-2014.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 12 points of order consuming 13 minutes of the proceeding.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1141 hours after which the Chair ordered to ring the bells for five minutes. The quorum was still incomplete on recounting so the sitting was adjourned.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 11, 2020: The Punjab Assembly could not address its agenda on Wednesday due to the protest by opposition lawmakers who were…
ISLAMABAD, November 10, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab skipped entire Private Members’ business on Tuesday and adopted a supplementary resolution to condemn hateful comments…
ISLAMABAD, November 9, 2020: The Punjab Assembly left most of its agenda unaddressed on Monday but approved 15 amendments to the Assembly’s Rules of Procedure…