ISLAMABAD, February 14, 2020: The National Assembly deferred debate on economic situation in the country due to absence of relevant ministers in the House, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet on Friday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during eleventh sitting of the 19th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 48 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1408 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker chaired the entire sitting in the absence of the Speaker.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 17 (5%) members were present at the outset and 67 (20%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, MMAP, PML and GDA attended the sitting.
- Five out of 10 minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not consider legislative agenda, a resolution seeking extension of an Ordinance, two Calling Attention Notices and a motion of thanks.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up seven out of 26 starred questions during the question hour while lawmakers asked 14 supplementary questions as well.
- A PML-N lawmaker debated a motion under Rule 259 regarding economic condition of the country for 29 minutes. Later, the Chair deferred the debate on it due to the absence of relevant ministers in the House.
Order and Institutionalization
- Three lawmakers including Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs spoke on points of order for 20 minutes which were related to political issues.
- The House was adjourned meet again on February 17, 2020 (Monday) at 1600 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the National Assembly’s website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, February 28, 2020: The Senate clubbed six motions to discuss political issues, situation in Occupied Kashmir, energy shortfall, price hike, crime against children and…
ISLAMABAD, February 27, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed on Thursday and was prorogued sine die over lack of quorum, observes Free…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab did not consider seven resolutions appearing on the agenda and referred one private member’s bill…