ISLAMABAD, March 3, 2017: The absence of federal cabinet ministers during first sitting of the 260th session of Senate led to the adjournment of proceedings, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The Chair adjourned the sitting for next Monday after getting annoyed over the ministerial absence and commenting on the non-serious attitude of the government in carrying out the proceedings of the House.
Following are key observations of the proceedings:
- The Senate met for an hour and 24 minutes.
- The sitting started one minute behind the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 16 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 11 minutes.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, JUI-F, NP, PTI, PkMAP and PML-N attended the sitting.
- Thirteen (12% of the total membership – 104) lawmakers were present at the start and 25 (24%) at the end of sitting.
- One minority legislator attended the proceedings.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat, a PML-N lawmaker presented report on three Starred Questions regarding the policy of PAS and PSP officers in BPS-20 and 21 belonging to the province of Balochistan and their posting inside the country and abroad.
- On behalf of Convener, Special Committee on Marginalized Segments of Society, an ANP lawmaker presented 3rd Interim report on the marginalized segments of the society.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House deferred two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) due to the absence of ministers in the House. The first CAN was about blocking of CNIC’s of Pakistani nationals belonging to FATA, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan while the other notice was regarding objectionable status of Azad Jammu and Kashmir territory being taught in private schools in Islamabad.
- All 38 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up during the sitting. In addition, lawmakers asked 35 Supplementary Questions.
- Two Adjournment Motions were held inadmissible for being in contravention with the rules while one motion was dropped due to the absence of its sponsor.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2021: The Senate adopted a condolence resolution on the demise of Senator Mushahid Ullah Khan and discussed the Elections (Amendment) Ordinance 2021, observes…
ISLAMABAD, February 4, 2021: The 306th Session of Senate was prorogued after transacting entire agenda on Thursday, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…