ISLAMABAD, May 18, 2018: The National Assembly approved the Finance Bill, 2018 and 127 Supplementary Demands for Grants for financial year 2017-18, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet on Friday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the 14th sitting of the 56th session:
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 41 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1014 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) attended the sitting for 45 minutes.
- The Opposition Leader was present for 36 minutes.
- As many as 40 lawmakers (12%) were present at the outset and 129 (38%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI, PPPP, MQM, APML, QWP and AJIP attended the sitting.
- Seven minority lawmakers were present.
- Moved by Finance Minister, the House passed the Finance Bill, 2018 after voice voting.
- The House also approved 127 Supplementary Demands for Grants for the financial year 2017-18.
- The Finance Minister laid before the House the Schedule of Authorized Expenditure 2018-19 and the Supplementary Schedule of Authorized Expenditure 2017-18.
- State Minister for Interior introduced the Prevention of Trafficking in Persons Bill, 2018. With the consent of the Opposition Leader, a motion was moved to pass the bill but PPPP Chief Whip opposed it and demanded debate on it following which its consideration was adjourned till next sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five lawmakers discussed Supplementary Demands for Grants for financial year 2017-18 for 20 minutes.
- The Finance Minister spoke for five minutes after passage of the Finance Bill, 2018 and thanked lawmakers as well as other stakeholders for their recommendations and support during the ongoing budget session.
Order and Institutionalization
- The sitting was adjourned to meet again on May 21, 2018 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 17, 2020: The National Assembly passed three government bills on Monday and adopted a resolution to extend an Ordinance, observes the Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, February 14, 2020: The National Assembly deferred debate on economic situation in the country due to absence of relevant ministers in the House, observes the…
ISLAMABAD, February 14, 2020: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addressed the Joint Session of Parliament for the fourth time on Friday, says Free and Fair…