ISLAMABAD, May 15, 2017: The National Assembly debated legislation concerning FATA reforms package on Monday and referred six government bills including two constitutional amendments to the standing committees, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during first sitting of the 42nd session:
- The National Assembly met for four hours and 12 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 36 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1729 hours against the scheduled time of 1700 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for two hours and 54 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of proceedings.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 41 minutes.
- Forty-three lawmakers (13%) were present at the outset and 30 (9%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of JUI-F, JI, QWP-S and AMLP attended the sitting.
- Seven minority lawmakers were present.
- The government introduced the Constitution (Twenty-Ninth Amendment) Bill, 2017; the Constitution (Thirtieth Amendment) Bill, 2017; the Tribal Areas Rewaj Bill, 2017; the Islamabad Capital Territory Child Protection Bill, 2017; the Investment Corporation of Pakistan (Repeal) Bill, 2017 and the National Food Safety, Animal and Plant Health Regulatory Authority Bill, 2017. The House referred these bills to the relevant committees for further deliberations.
- Sixteen lawmakers including Minister for States and Frontier Regions took part in the discussion on the Tribal Areas Rewaj Bill, 2017 and the Constitution (Thirtieth Amendment) Bill, 2017 consuming two hours.
- Moved by Minister for Housing and Works, the House adopted a resolution condemning the attack on Deputy Chairman Senate in Mastung.
- The House did not take up a government bill and a resolution for extension of an ordinance.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as 12 out of 34 Starred Questions were responded to by the government. The lawmakers asked 30 Supplementary Questions as well.
- The House did not take up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) appearing on the agenda.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on two Points of Order consuming as many minutes of the sitting.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The National Assembly was adjourned on Friday without taking up any of the agenda item as the government could not manage to…
ISLAMABAD, October 20, 2020: The National Assembly passed three private members’ bills and referred 13 other legislative proposals to the relevant standing committees amid opposition’s…