- Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The National Assembly passed two government bills and adopted three resolutions to extend the timeline of as many ordinances, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Thursday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during seventh sitting of the 27th session:
- The National Assembly met for an hour and 56 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1157 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the proceedings for an hour and 23 minutes while rest of the sitting was chaired by a Member of Panel of Chairpersons.
- The Leaders of the House (Prime Minister) and the Opposition were not present.
- One hundred and nineteen lawmakers (35% of the total membership – 342) were present at the outset and 46 (13%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of GDA, PPPP and PML-N attended the sitting.
- Six minority members were also present.
- Adviser to the Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs introduced the Constitution (Twenty-sixth Amendment) Bill, 2020 and the China Pakistan Economic Corridor Authority Bill, 2020. Both the bills were referred to the relevant committees for deliberations.
- The House passed three resolutions to give extension to as many ordinances for a period of 120 days with effect from November 4, 2020. These ordinances were titled as the Public Procurement Regulatory Authority (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020; the Public Private Partnership Authority (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020 and the Corporate Restructuring Companies (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020.
- Moved by Adviser to the Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs, the House passed the Emigration (Amendment) Bill, 2020 and the Control of Narcotic Substances (Amendment) Bill, 2020, as reported by the relevant Standing Committees.
- On behalf of the Chairman Standing Committee on Finance and Revenue, a member of the committee presented the Pakistan Single Window Bill, 2020.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Federal Education, Professional Training, National Heritage and Culture, a member of the committee presented report on the National College of Arts Institute Bill, 2020.
- Chairman Public Accounts Committee (PAC) presented the special report on structural changes to improve the performance of the committee.
- The periodical reports of the Standing Committees on Science and Technology and Religious Affairs and Inter-faith Harmony were also presented in the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs responded to two Calling Attention Notices regarding increase in the prices of medicines and stopping universities from conducting Medical and Dental Colleges Admission Test (MDCAT) as well as suspending National Examination Board.
- Moved by the Adviser to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs, the House passed a motion to suspend the question hour for the consideration of government business.
Order and Institutionalization
- Six lawmakers spoke on as many points of order for 22 minutes.
- The entire opposition staged a walkout for five minutes against the suspension of the question hour.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1208 hours, however, it was found complete upon counting.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out the lack of quorum at 1350 hours which was found incomplete upon counting and the Session was adjourned for an indefinite period.
- Orders of the Day was available to legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed law and order, increase in prices of petroleum products and challenges after drought in…
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted one-fourth of its agenda and was adjourned earlier without considering legislative business, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business and consumed major part of the proceeding in points of order…