ISLAMABAD, May 12, 2016: The National Assembly passed two government bills on Thursday during fourth sitting of 32nd session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 19 minutes.
- The proceeding remained suspended for 52 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1614 hours against the scheduled time 1600 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 44 minutes while rest of the proceeding was chaired by a member of the Panel of Chairpersons as the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Prime Minister and the Opposition Leader did not attend the sitting.
- Ten Federal Ministers attended the sitting.
- 71 MNAs (21%) were present at outset and 58 (17%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, ANP, AMLP, APML, JI and PML-Z attended the sitting.
- Eight minority members were present.
- Chairman of the Standing Committee on Defence presented the report of committee on the issue regarding difficulties being faced by the residents of village Sultanpur, Havelian, Abbottabad, due to non-separation of said area from Cantonment Board, Havelian.
- Chairman of the Standing Committee on Water and Power presented the report of the committee on the matter regarding theft of electricity in the Punjab, Sindh and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces.
- Chairman of the Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research presented the report of the committee regarding import of sub-standard wheat imported from Moldova.
- Moved by Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, the House passed the Electoral Rolls (Amendment) Bill, 2015 and the Delimitation of Constituencies (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Question Hour was not held due to suspension of the sitting.
- Federal Minister for Housing and Works responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding the consent letters issued by the Federal Government Employees Housing Foundation to its members to deposit a huge amount as down payment for cost of land within thirty days.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised 11 Points of Order consuming 44 minutes of the sitting.
- The Opposition lawmakers continued their boycott of the House for fourth consecutive sitting and walked out at 1624 hours. They did not return till adjournment of the sitting.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1625 hours. The Chair suspended the proceeding at 1628 hours after the counting. The sitting resumed at 1720 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
124 Lawmakers Participate in the Proceedings Session Cut Short by a Week due to Concerns over Coronavirus ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2020: The National Assembly passed bill…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2020: The National Assembly did not take up its regular agenda on Friday and discussed the government strategy to avoid…