ISLAMABAD, March 3, 2016: The National Assembly took up all agenda items appearing on Orders of the Day on Monday during first sitting of 30th session of the National Assembly, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 56 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1510 hours against its scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 115 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the proceeding.
- The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition were not present.
- 48 MNAs (14%) were present at outset and 60 (17%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, AMLP, ANP, JI, QWP-S and PML-Z were present.
- Eight minority members were present.
- Minister for Science and Technology introduced the Pakistan Engineering Council (Amendment) Bill, 2016 in the House.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization presented the reports of the Committee on the Corporate Restructuring Companies Bill, 2015, the Financial Institutions (Recovery of Finances) (Amendment) Bill, 2015, the Deposit Protection Corporation Bill, 2015 and the Financial Institutions (Secured Transactions) Bill, 2016. The House also approved the motions to condone the delay in presentation of these reports.
- The House passed the Publication of Laws of Pakistan Bill, 2016 unanimously.
- Chairman of the Standing Committee on Planning, Development and Reform presented the periodical report of the Committee.
- The House deferred the decision a motion regarding referral of the Pakistan International Airlines Corporation (Conversion) Bill, 2016 to the joint sitting of the Parliament. Eleven lawmakers spoke for 29 minutes on this motion.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government replied to nine out of 35 starred questions appearing on the agenda. The lawmakers also asked 16 supplementary questions.
- The government responded to a Calling Attention Notice regarding non-availability of public amenities in Fatima Jinnah Children Park F-9, Islamabad. Five PPPP lawmakers withdrew a CAN regarding performance of Pakistan Cricket team.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 24 points of order consuming 46 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was not available to observers and media.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business on Friday to express condolence over the demise of Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal Pakistan (MMAP) lawmaker…
ISLAMABAD, May 15, 2020: The 21st Session of National Assembly was prorogued on Friday after concluding debate on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 13, 2020: The members of both sides of the aisle in National Assembly continued discussion on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…