ISLAMABAD, June 7, 2017: The National Assembly continued discussion on the Budget 2017-18 during 10th sitting its 43rd session on Wednesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings:
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 29 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1143 hours against the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for an hour and 17 minutes while rests of the proceedings were chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition remained present for 30 minutes.
- As many as 121 lawmakers (35%) were present at the outset and 46 (13%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI, PPPP, QWP-S, PkMAP, APML, BNP-A attended the sitting.
- Five minority lawmakers were also present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eight lawmakers took part in the general discussion on the federal budget for the year 2017-2018. The discussion consumed two hours and 16 minutes (91%) of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- The entire opposition walked out of the House at 1213 hours over remarks of Chief Minister Punjab about apex court. They did not return till the adjournment of the sitting.
- Four Minority lawmakers walked out of the House for 12 minutes against advertisement of sanitary workers’ job in a section of press and death of patient in Umerkot due to negligence of a doctor.
- Two Points of Order consumed four minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on the National Assembly website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly’s proceedings, conducted by the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, September 22, 2021: The National Assembly left almost entire agenda unaddressed on Wednesday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 21, 2021: The National Assembly left almost two-third agenda unaddressed on private members’ day and referred five legislative proposals to the relevant committees,…
ISLAMABAD, September 20, 2021: The National Assembly left 95 percent agenda unaddressed on Monday amidst absence of the Leaders of the House and the Opposition,…