ISLAMABAD, April 7, 2016: The National Assembly on Thursday held discussion on Panama Leaks during first sitting of its 31st session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The National Assembly did not take up any of the agenda item which included introduction of two bills, consideration of two other bills, presentation of a report and two Calling Attention Notices (CANs).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The National Assembly met for three hours and 34 minutes.
- The sitting started 43 minutes late against the scheduled time of 1700 hours.
- The House had a prayer break for 26 minutes.
- Speaker presided over the entire sitting.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 107 minutes.
- Eleven Cabinet members were present.
- 133 MNAs (39%) were present at outset and 78 (23%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI, PTI, AMLP, APML, QWP, BNP-A and PML-Z were present.
- Nine minority members were present.
- The House did not take up any agenda item appearing on Orders of the Day.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Following a motion moved by Minister for Law, the House held discussion on Panama Leaks. Leader of the Opposition, Parliamentary Leaders of JI, PTI, AMLP and four PML-N lawmakers including three Ministers spoke on it for 145 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on 14 points of order consuming 15 minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 17, 2020: The National Assembly passed three government bills on Monday and adopted a resolution to extend an Ordinance, observes the Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, February 14, 2020: The National Assembly deferred debate on economic situation in the country due to absence of relevant ministers in the House, observes the…
ISLAMABAD, February 14, 2020: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addressed the Joint Session of Parliament for the fourth time on Friday, says Free and Fair…