ISLAMABAD, February 04, 2019: The sitting of the Provincial Assembly of Sindh was adjourned on Monday due to the protest by opposition lawmakers after they were denied by the Chair to move an out-of-turn resolution, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 16th sitting of the fourth session:
- The Assembly met for two hours and three minutes.
- The sitting started at 1455 hours against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 56 minutes while the Deputy Speaker chaired the rest of the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 56 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 56 minutes.
- As many as 52 lawmakers (31%) were present at outset and 89 lawmakers (53%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, TLP, GDA and MMAP attended the sitting.
- As many as six out of nine minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House did not take up two government bills, presentation of a report and an Adjournment Motion.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Minister for Revenue and Relief responded to seven Starred Questions. The lawmakers asked 26 supplementary questions as well while the Chair disallowed a supplementary question.
- The Ministers for Local Government, Excise and Taxation responded to four Call Attention Notices (CANs) about halting development works at Karachi Zoo, registration of vehicles, encroachment in Karachi and shortage of water in PS-106. Another CAN regarding unsafe bottled water was not taken up due to absence of the mover.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers belonging to MQM, GDA and PTI protested for 22 minutes against the decision of the Chair to move an out-of-turn resolution.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on February 7, 2019 (Thursday) at 1400 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Assembly proceedings conducted by Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The 9th session of Sindh Assembly was prorogued on Friday after two days debate on measures to tackle COVID-19, observes…
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business on Friday to express condolence over the demise of Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal Pakistan (MMAP) lawmaker…
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The Senate took up its entire agenda on Friday and adopted a supplementary resolution to condemn violation of human rights in…