ISLAMABAD, November 18, 2016: The National Assembly consumed more than three-fifth of the sitting’s time on Points of Orders (POs) during first sitting of its 37th session on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House business:
- The National Assembly met for two hours and 10 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for 45 minutes while the remaining proceedings were chaired by the Deputy Speaker.
- The Leader of the House (Prime Minister) did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- Thirteen lawmakers (4%) were present at the outset and 46 (13%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PkMAP, BNP-A, APML, JUI-F and PML-Z attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were present.
- Moved by Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit Baltistan, the House unanimously adopted a resolution to condemn the Indian attack on Line of Control (LoC) causing loss of lives of Pakistani soldiers and recognizing the sacrifices of Pakistan Army.
- Minister for Parliamentary Affairs introduced the Constitution (Twenty-fourth Amendment) Bill, 2016, the Alternate Dispute Resolution Bill, 2016 and the Costs of Litigation Bill, 2016.
- Minister for Finance presented the Companies Ordinance, 2016.
- The Reports of the Public Accounts Committee on the accounts of the Federation for various years were not presented before the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House suspended the Question Hour on a motion moved by Minister of Parliamentary Affairs. The minister was of the view that relevant ministers could not get proper time to prepare answers as the National Assembly was summoned late Thursday night.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) regarding rampant increase in the number of Hepatitis patients and explosion in an oil tanker at Gadani ship-breaking yard resulting in loss of 18 lives and several other serious injuries.
- The House did not discuss Report of the Committee on FATA Reforms, 2016 and a Motion of Thanks.
Order and Institutionalization
- Lawmakers spoke on 31 Points of Order consuming 77 minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, April 5, 2021: The National Assembly was prorogued sine die on Monday amidst a lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, April 2, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up its regular agenda on Friday except question hour and was adjourned due to lack…
ISLAMABAD, April 1, 2021: The National Assembly witnessed introduction of seven private members’ bills and deferred a motion authorizing its speaker to constitute a parliamentary…