ISLAMABAD, April 17, 2014: The Senate witnessed completion of entire agenda on Orders of the Day and the resignation of a Senator during the fourth sitting of 103rd session on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs laid first and second quarterly reports for the year 2013-2014 of the Central Board of Directors of State Bank of Pakistan on the state of Pakistan’s Economy. He also laid the report on Biannual Monitoring on the Implementation of National Finance Commission (NFC) Award for the period July-December 2012.
ANP Senator presented report of the Sub-Committee on Environment of the Senate Functional Committee on Human Rights regarding media manual on climate change and REDD+.
PPPP Senator Faisal Raza Abidi submitted his resignation which was later approved by the Chair.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for two hours and two minutes.
- The sitting started at 1654 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours witnessing a delay of 54 minutes.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- Twenty senators were present at the outset, 39 at the adjournment while a maximum of 49 at one point during the proceedings.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PPPP, PkMAP and ANP attended the sitting.
- Two minority members attended the sitting.
- Four members applied for leave.
- The Leader of the House and the Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs laid first and second quarterly reports for the year 2013-2014 of the Central Board of Directors of State Bank of Pakistan on the state of Pakistan’s Economy.
- The State Minister also laid the report on Biannual Monitoring on the Implementation of National Finance Commission (NFC) Award for the period July-December 2012.
- ANP Senator presented report of the Sub-Committee on Environment of the Senate Functional Committee on Human Rights regarding media manual on climate change and REDD+.
Representation and Responsiveness
- PPPP Senator Faisal Raza Abidi submitted his resignation which was later approved by the Chair.
- A calling attention notice sponsored by MQM lawmaker regarding posting of a junior and unsuitable officer of Grade-20 as Secretary, Benazir Income Support Programme was responded to by State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs. The House could not complete the debate on it during the previous sitting.
- Eight out of 47 Starred Questions (requiring oral as well written replies) on the Orders of the Day were taken up. Additionally, members asked 40 supplementary questions.
- The Chair referred the privilege motion of PPPP Senator to the relevant committee he had submitted during the previous sitting against the officials of Finance Division for submitting wrong reply during Question Hour of August 29, 2013.
Order and Institutionalization
- Seven lawmakers spoke on as many points of order consuming 25 minutes of the proceedings.
- PPPP senator urged the government to clarify KP governor’s statement about offering amnesty to militants.
- There was no instance of walkout, protest or boycott.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on senators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization; a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted.
Senate Discusses Economic Situation, Gilgit-Baltistan Elections Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, January 18, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed economic situation of the country and recently held…
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…