ISLAMABAD, January 26, 2017: The Punjab Assembly concluded the general discussion on the issue of health while the Opposition lawmakers staged protest and walkout against the Chief Minister, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) on Thursday.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fourth sitting of 26th session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for four hours and nine minutes.
- The sitting started at 1110 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the sitting for three hours and 29 minutes while a Member of the Panel of Chairpersons presided over the rest of proceedings. The Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for an hour and 41 minutes.
- Six MPAs (1%) were present at outset and 14 (4%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PTI, PPPP and JI attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were present.
- Minister for Law laid the Audit Report on the Accounts of Public Sector Enterprises for the year 2015-16 and Audit Report on the Construction of Metro Bus Transit System, Ferozepur Road (Corridor-I), Lahore, Housing, Urban Development and Public Health Engineering Department for year 2013.
- Minister for Law also presented the Financial Statements of the Government of Punjab for the year 2014-15 and Appropriation Accounts of the Forest Department, Government of the Punjab for the year 2014-15.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as six out of 10 Starred Questions were responded to by the government during Question Hour while remaining four questions were disposed of due to the absence of movers. The lawmakers also asked 19 supplementary questions.
- The House deferred an Adjournment Motion of PML-N lawmaker on the request of treasury.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) of PML lawmaker while another CAN was not taken up.
- Eighteen lawmakers took part in the general discussion on health that consumed two hours and 28 minutes. Minister for Health concluded the discussion.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on three Points of Order consuming four minutes of the proceedings.
- PTI lawmakers protested on floor of the House for 11 minutes demanding decision of the Speaker on reference against the Chief Minister. The lawmakers also staged a walkout for eight minutes on this issue.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum at 1235 hours that led to ringing of bells after which the quorum was found complete.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 13, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left most of its agenda unaddressed on Friday due to confrontation between treasury and…
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2021: The Punjab Assembly deferred six private members’ resolutions and three legislative proposals on Thursday, observes Fee and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, August 9, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left its entire agenda unaddressed on Monday and was adjourned due to lack of quorum, observes…