ISLAMABAD, January 25, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab discussed the law and order situation in the province while the Minister for Law introduced the Mir Chakar Khan Rind University of Technology Dera Ghazi Khan Bill, 2019, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during 15th (last) sitting of the sixth session:
- The Assembly met for an hour and 26 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1120 hours against the scheduled time of 0900 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting in the absence of the Speaker.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 70 MPAs (19%) were present at the outset while 80 (22%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leader of PPPP attended the proceedings.
- As many as six out of eight minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The Minister for Law introduced the Mir Chakar Khan Rind University of Technology Dera Ghazi Khan Bill, 2019. The House referred the bill to relevant standing committee.
- Moved by the Minister Law, the House approved an amendment to the Rule 148 of the Rules and Procedure of the Assembly to constitute four additional standing committees. Following the amendment, the House adopted a motion seeking to constitute 45 standing committees.
- The House held a 31-minute long discussion on law and order situation. The Minister for Law and seven lawmakers participated in the discussion.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Ministers for Industries, Commerce & Investment and Environment Protection responded to two Starred Questions while two questions were deferred on the mover’s request. The lawmakers asked eight supplementary questions as well.
- The House did not take up a Question of Privilege and an Adjournment Motion due to absence of relevant ministers.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was prorogued sine die.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available on the Assembly’s website.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on the Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) discussed state of the education in the Province and witnessed introduction of a…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three resolutions and debated an adjournment motion regarding Governor’s disinterest in the Assembly business,…